Thursday 31 March 2011

Thankyou for reading my blog hope you enjoy :)

I thought I would kick off this blog with a reflection of my own back yard. Its pretty simple, consisting only of some turf, a couple of shrubs around the borderes (Photinia x Fraseri and Hazel Pommaderis) with an old Jacaranda tree sitting in the middle (Jacaranda Brazilian Rosewood), however the simplicity of the garden does not mean much when the garden itself all sort of fits together and looks nice, not to mention the low maintanence. Besides, were the back yard to filled it wouldnt be a back yard really. When I think of a back yard, i think of some shrubs around the edges with a nice big lawn to play games on, and our back yard pretty much fills that description. Also, with rising water restrictions, it is getting harder and harder to get out and give the garden a good water so in that sence, less is more.
This afternoon I went onto http://www.smartgardenwatering.com/ and found out just how much water my garden was consuming, or should be consuming I should say. It was quite overwhelming to see just how much our simple garden drinks! Below is a screen print of exactly how much our gerden is consuming. As you can see from the picture the mulched area around the sides of the garden use up only 10% of the entire water consumption and the rest (aka the grass and jacaranda) use up 90%, who would have thought that grass and one tree could drink so much! anyway, this area of the yard rarely gets watered any, I mean seriously, who wants to do all that extra mowing? As I further update this blog i will go further out into the neighbourhood and even part way across the peninsular to find some inspiring, some modern and even some neglected landscapes, and then report my findings back here to share my thoughts with whoever wants to hear.

1 comment:

  1. Jess, I really like the sound of that Jacaranda! Is it a big tree with fantastic spring flowering? Your practice with the SmartGarden Watering is really interesting because you point out that you haven't watered much at all, so rainfall is doing the job...but it was a wet year though...food for thought

    ReplyDelete