Monday 2 May 2011

How I feel aboud my surroundings

Time for post number 2 J I’m planning on using this post to describe how having a natural environment makes me feel. As well as Mt Martha, I also spend a considerable amount of my time where some of my families live, in Somers Victoria. It is a very quiet town in the middle of nowhere special (around the Hastings/Balnarring area) so spending so much time in Somers help me to understand just how hectic every day life actually is. On days when I am in Somers, I always feel a little more relaxed, a little more cheerful and I can definitely appreciate Somers landscapes more than any professionally designed back yard in the middle of suburbia. The fields, native trees and wildlife are definitely some of the things I love about Somers.
There is one place in particular that I enjoy spending time in Somers, the local park. Aside from the typical footy oval and kids playground found in most parks, there is a magnificent wide open space behind the oval , full of trees (both native and exotic) and places to simply lean back and enjoy nature with no more of mans touch than a simple dirt walking track running around the perimeter. There are even some places in this area that you can only get to by pushing your way through some shrubs! I find this area good for many things, such as a place to relax and reconnect with nature, a place for inspiration and even a place for motivation, particularly in times of stress. The reason I can appreciate Somers landscapes so much is because of the sheer naturalness of the landscapes. Although places like the Burnley or the Royal Botanical Gardens are indeed spectacular, there is just something that draws me to the natural beauty of Somers as opposed to the man made museum like gardens of Melbourne. I can fully understand why people can appreciate seeing and experiencing foreign and exotic plants, well kept lawns and annual flowers all planted to create a pretty pattern; after all it’s definitely not something you would expect to see every day! It is just difficult for me because I enjoy spending time in the magnificent places nature creates without mans aid





To the left Is a picture taken from google images of Somers. The area outlined in purple is the main area discussed in the post (note the footy oval to the right) and the area outlined in green is the house where my family lives. Not a bad location at all J
To the left is a picture taken from goole images of the Royal Botanical Gardens in St Kilda. Note hoe the picture differs from the one of Somers. There are more paths, more access points and note the suburbia surrounding the gardens  (only obvious on the right hand side).












4 comments:

  1. Hey Jess,
    Great post on your local environment. I have a friend that lives down in Somers who orginally grew up in Mt Martha and I know how much he enjoys being down there. I mentioned I was in far east gippsland over the easter break, if you get a chance spend some time up near Mallacotta, by the sounds of it I think you might enjoy it. In my opionion its almost the last place in Victoria that has'nt seen large increases of holiday makers and the "green or sea change" baby boomer holiday houses put up everywhere. You can find places to stay that are literally on a river, on the beach or in the bush. Try looking up Gipsy Point or Genoa in Victoria, far east gippsland. Its a place for now anyway that hasnt seen a lot of change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Matt! I do really enjoy spending time in such amazing places and Mallacotta sounds amazing! I will definately look into it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun to explore, have you ever gotten lost on purpose? It's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is thoughtful and thought-provoking reflective post Jess, well done!

    ReplyDelete